Ok, disregarding the fact that this is a Disney film, I got drawn in by all the cameo appearances from all the throwback games from yesteryear. During the first 30 minutes, I was looking at the screen going "Oh, there's the old Star Wars game! Hey, there's Road Blasters!". Just for that alone, I got my money's worth.
However, once the story actually get's going, it really pulls you in. The main character of the story is the villain of the game this time around (if that makes any sense), but he wants to feel accepted and belong. I could relate to the character. I really liked the concept that these characters could interact with one another after the arcade had closed (kind of like the Toy Story movies how the toys could move when no humans were around).
The character of Vanellope started off annoying for me. But, as the story went on, we understand her as a "glitch" in the game. So, maybe she was supposed to be. I don't know. When Ralph and her started to actually bond as friends, she became less annoying. And towards the end, she was even a bit adorable, like the "It's so Fluffy!!!!" girl from Despicable Me.
Jane Lynch was hilarious as the tough-as-nails op from hybrid spoof game "Hero's Duty". And of course, she had to have an emotional backstory... Spoofed to perfection, I'd say.
Overall, this was a fun and enjoyable ride. Never really a dull moment. Nothing really offensive that I can think of. So, feel free to take the children, they will enjoy this movie.
My Rating: A-
Saturday, November 3, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Good review. This flick is a whole lot of fun and even if it is mostly based on nostalgia, well then it's still good nostalgia none the less.
ReplyDelete