Thursday, November 1, 2012

Movie Review- "Cloud Atlas"

What can I say? Almost a year of remakes, rehashes, re-imaginings, and regurgitated messes, then a truly unique movie like this comes out. The movie doesn't necessarily have a "main character" as it does, a few "transmigrating souls". The characters in this are unique unto themselves. Some you love to hate, some you hate to love. It was interesting to see a movie tackles a touchy subject as Reincarnation. But this movie handled it artistically well.

Halle Berry and Tom Hanks prove that they both still have the acting knack. And Hugo Weaving stole the show no matter what scene he was in. He was especially impressive as the nurse. This was the first movie in which I saw Doona Bae. I was the most impressed with her acting. She was a shining star. I look forward to see her in future movies. And, to me, her storyline was by far the most interesting.

I will say that one of the "flaws" in the movie was the part where Tom Hanks played the tribesman named Zachry. It's not so much his character or storyline that bothered me, it was the dialect they chose for post-apocalyptic Earth. Some of the language was somewhat easy to pick up ("true-true = the truth", for example). But, I felt like I was missing out on important information when we were first introduced to it, because I was not expecting it. And according to various people on the IMDB message boards, they are in agreement with me. I personally didn't find it that big of an issue, but it was annoying in some scenes.

Each storyline parallels another in the fact that all the central characters in each storyline are struggling in their own personal way. And they way that it all ties together was handled brilliantly. I give a giant thumbs up to the Wachowski siblings. I may have to see this again as there was so much detail.

Final Rating: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment